Thursday, May 5, 2016

Thing 24: Makerspaces

This was another great lesson - I started a Makerspace this winter with 25 of my 3rd graders.  The idea began last year after attending several PD sessions on the Maker movement.  I was intrigued and began brainstorming how I could introduce this to my Grade 3-5 library.  I spoke to my Principal about it during a meeting and he was in favor of doing it as long as I began it as a club.  One of the reasons we decided to try it as a club was to work out classroom management/time issues.

As I mentioned above I have no budget for this club so I've been collecting donations from parents and my house to provide some activities for the kids.  At this point it is primarily a craft oriented club but I am hoping to expand the selections next year.  To date I've done coding with the group, crafts following a theme and paper towel/toilet paper creations.  I usually introduce a couple of different items and then let the kids create - my leprechauns turned into crowns, hats and light sabers!

I've observed the kids socializing and collaborating on their projects during the 50 minutes I have them.  The group is mostly girls but the few boys I have get right in with the group and have a ball.  I spent one session in our computer lab practicing coding and I really thought most of them would want to continue with other coding activities in the weeks to come.  I was very surprised that all of the kids wanted to go back to creating some type of craft.  For next year I would like to begin using centers by making each table a different activity.  I hope to purchase some legos, sewing items, origami paper and some little bits.  I am also considering making a writing corner and a comic area.  This summer I plan to purchase some of the books mentioned in this module to develop more ideas for next year.

I really think the idea of a Makerspace in a library is a great learning tool for kids.  They need the opportunity to create and make things based on an idea that they develop either through a topic they learned in class or a personal interest.  I think it provides them with a safe environment to experiment, collaborate and create new items.  I know from my little group that they never cease to amaze me with what they create.  I feel very strongly that these belong in school libraries - so many of the kids in my school would never have the opportunity to experience these things outside of school.  It's an important part of helping to prepare them for their next step in life.

Kids gain a sense of accomplishment in creating new things.  They learn that it is ok to fail - just keep trying and collaborating with peers to improve your creation.  The students also gain socialization skills that they may not be exposed to in a traditional classroom setting.  The students in my group come from a wide range of income levels and during class time they never really interact together.  In the makerspace club they are all talking/ helping one another regardless of whether they are friends or not.  It's wonderful to watch!

As I mentioned earlier, my makerspace this year is mainly crafty due to my lack of budget.  I am hoping to expand the selection of items next year to include littlebits, legos and maybe Minecraft.

I am very fortunate that my Principal was very supportive of my request to start a makerspace.  His concern with doing it during my class time was classroom management - ways to prevent kids from always selecting the lego table, etc.  It was his suggestion to try it in a club setting to "work out the bugs" before introducing it during my book days.  At a recent meeting he mentioned that he has heard some very positive feedback in regards to the makerspace.  He also promoted the program by suggesting PTA contact me for some activities for an upcoming evening program.


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful project! Love how it brings together kids that might not be in each others' classes during the regular day. And hooray for your principal's support! Nice!

    ReplyDelete